Where can I see my balance and due date online?

Login to myUMBC, select the Billing & Personal Finances Guide, and select Account Inquiry to view balance and due date information.

What is the difference between Account Inquiry and E-Billing?

Account Inquiry is the most current, real-time, information. It shows activity between e-bills. E-billing happens once a month and reflects activity as of a certain date.

Will I get a paper bill?

No. UMBC does not issue paper bills. Billing is electronic. You will receive an email to your UMBC email address when e-bills are available for viewing online.

Are credit cards accepted for payment?

Yes. VISA, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover are accepted. Please note that credit cards are only accepted online. Credit cards are not accepted at the Cashier’s Office. A convenience fee of 2.85% is charged for credit card transactions online.

Can I pay with a check online?

Yes. Electronic checks (ACH) are accepted online at no charge. Debits from Savings accounts are also accepted online at no charge. Routing numbers and account numbers are required to pay via ACH.  See the example below of where to find your routing and account number on a check.





Will I be charged a late fee if I have pending financial aid?

If the pending financial aid is visible on myUMBC and reflected on your e-bill and it is enough to cover your bill, you will not be charged a late fee. If your pending aid is less than the total due, you must pay the difference by the due date of your e-bill to avoid late fees.

When will pending financial aid post to my account?

Generally, pending financial aid begins to post to student accounts 10 days prior to the start of each term.  Financial Aid disbursement information

How can I grant others access to my financial information?

For instructions on how to provide a person access to your billing and financial aid information, please see our Profile Sharing Instructions.

You can also authorize others to view your e-bills, monitor your payment plan and make online payments by creating a parent pin.  Click here to add additional payors. 

I just paid off a past-due account, when can I register?

You will be able to register ninety (90) minutes after you pay your account off.  If paying off an account at the Central Collection Unit (CCU), you must provide proof of payment to SBS before you can be cleared for registration.  Check payments made to CCU require a ten (10) business day hold before being cleared for registration.  Credit/Debit card payments to CCU will be granted clearance the next business day.  Pay my CCU account.

If I select a mailed paper check, where will my refund be sent?

Your refund will be sent to the mailing address on myUMBC.

Why did I receive a refund if I have a balance due on my account?

This can happen for a number of reasons. These are two common reasons:

1.  Rules governing financial aid state certain charges can/cannot be paid.

2.  Financial aid may have come in and posted to your account before all of your charges have been posted (i.e., tuition, housing, meal plan, course fees).

3.  Financial aid for prior semesters cannot pay for future semester charges.

Please review your Account Inquiry. You may owe the refund back to UMBC. If you are ever in doubt, please contact SBS before using the refund, so that we can review the account with you.

I dropped a course at the beginning of the semester, why do I still have charges on my account for it?

If you drop a course after the start of the semester, you may still be responsible for charges (in part or in full) depending on when you dropped the course. Each semester a “Schedule of Refunds and Withdrawals” is available on the SBS website. Please review the Refund Schedule PRIOR to dropping classes so that you know what to expect when the bill arrives.

I dropped off a private scholarship check to SBS, but I don’t see that payment showing on my account yet, why?

Continue to monitor your account (MyUMBC).  You should see the scholarship on your account once charges for the term are posted (approximately mid-July for Fall and mid-December for Spring)

I want to order a transcript, but there is a past-due hold on my account. How do I get that hold removed?

Financial holds do not prevent you from ordering a transcript.  Order Transcript

I need an itemized billing statement to receive tuition reimbursement.

Directions on how to print an itemized billing statement can be found here – Itemized Statement